Trang

Thứ Bảy, 30 tháng 8, 2014

AUGUST 31, 2014 : TWENTY-SECOND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME year A

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 124

Reading 1JER 20:7-9
You duped me, O LORD, and I let myself be duped;
you were too strong for me, and you triumphed.
All the day I am an object of laughter;
everyone mocks me.

Whenever I speak, I must cry out,
violence and outrage is my message;
the word of the LORD has brought me
derision and reproach all the day.

I say to myself, I will not mention him,
I will speak in his name no more.
But then it becomes like fire burning in my heart,
imprisoned in my bones;
I grow weary holding it in, I cannot endure it.
Responsorial Psalm PS 63:2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9
R/ (2b) My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
O God, you are my God whom I seek;
for you my flesh pines and my soul thirsts
like the earth, parched, lifeless and without water.
R/ My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
Thus have I gazed toward you in the sanctuary
to see your power and your glory,
For your kindness is a greater good than life;
my lips shall glorify you.
R/ My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
Thus will I bless you while I live;
lifting up my hands, I will call upon your name.
As with the riches of a banquet shall my soul be satisfied,
and with exultant lips my mouth shall praise you. 
R/ My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
You are my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I shout for joy.
My soul clings fast to you;
your right hand upholds me.
R/ My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
Reading 2 ROM 12:1-2
I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God,
to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice,
holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship. 
Do not conform yourselves to this age
but be transformed by the renewal of your mind,
that you may discern what is the will of God,
what is good and pleasing and perfect.

Gospel MT 16:21-27
Jesus began to show his disciples
that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly
from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes,
and be killed and on the third day be raised. 
Then Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke him,
“God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.” 
He turned and said to Peter,
“Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. 
You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”

Then Jesus said to his disciples,
“Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself,
take up his cross, and follow me. 
For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it,
but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world
and forfeit his life? 
Or what can one give in exchange for his life? 
For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory,
and then he will repay all according to his conduct.”


Scripture Study, Aug. 31, 2014
August 31, 2014 Twenty-Second Sunday of Ordinary Time

This Sunday, the Church celebrates the Twenty-Second Sunday of Ordinary Time. In the first reading Jeremiah complains to God about his ministry and the way that he is treated because of it. Jeremiah wants to quit being a prophet but God’s word within him will not allow him to be silent. In the second reading, Paul urges his readers to offer themselves up completely to God. Thus one’s whole life when lived in obedience to God will be a continuous act of worship . In the Gospel, Jesus predicts His passion and death. Peter, only a few verses after having declared that Jesus is the Messiah, demonstrates that he doesn’t quite understand what it really means. He, along with the rest of Israel, expects a Messiah of glory and triumph but Jesus insists on being the Messiah of God’s plan rather than the Messiah of the world’s expectations. All together the readings call us to consider the extent of our own faithfulness to God’s word and God’s plan. Like Jeremiah, do I sometimes feel that I am in over my head and want to quit? What prevents me from doing so? Have I really given myself completely to God? What portions of my life have kept it from being a continuous act of worship? How selfless have I been as a disciple? Have I really placed Jesus first as the gospel urges?

First Reading: Jeremiah 20: 7-9
7 You duped me, O LORD, and I let myself be duped;
you were too strong for me, and you triumphed.
All the day I am an object of laughter;
everyone mocks me.
8 Whenever I speak, I must cry out,
violence and outrage is my message;
The word of the LORD has brought me
derision and reproach all the day.
9 I say to myself, I will not mention him,
I will speak in his name no more.
But then it becomes like fire burning in my heart,
imprisoned in my bones;
I grow weary holding it in,
I cannot endure it.
NOTES on First Reading:
* 20:7-18 this section is structured in three parts:
Individual lament in verses 7-10,
prayer of confidence in verses 11-13,
self-curse in verses 14-18.
* 20:7 Jeremiah uses a very daring and somewhat startling (at least to 20th century eyes) set of images. Because of Jeremiah’s intimate dealings and relationship with God, he uses an image of seduction and deception. The language he uses is the language used in speaking of a virgin’s seduction by a man (Exod 22:15). Often the same words mean simply to deceive and are used of false prophets being duped by Yahweh (1 Kgs 22:19-23; Ezek 14:9). In Jer 15:18 the prophet presents a similar image of deception, calling God a treacherous brook that dries up when its waters are needed. He is complaining that he cannot rely on God with absolute assurance of His assistance. Jeremiah is expressing the feelings of many who fail to see God’s hand in the events around them.
* 20:9 This verse is important in developing an understanding of the prophet’s office and inspiration. The message of God can not be ignored but must be expressed. Although others had described Yahweh as a “consuming fire” (Exod 24:17; Deut 4:24, 9:3; Isa 33:14; Jeremiah is the only one to apply that image directly to God’s Word (See Jer 5:14; 23:29).
Second Reading: Romans 12: 1-2
1 I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship.
2 Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.
NOTES on Second Reading:
* 12:1-13:14 This lengthy section explains how Christians can function with the gift of justification through faith, in their relation to one another and the state. This radical restatement of principles for life is needed because Christ marks the termination of the Mosaic law as the primary source of guidance for God’s people (Romans 10:4).
* 12:1-8 In these verses Paul describes how Christians are to live without the Mosaic code with its elaborate directions on sacrifices and other cultic observances. Christians are to exercise good judgment as they confront the many decisions required in daily life instead of being limited by specific legal maxims. The gospel invites believers to present their bodies (whole selves) as a living sacrifice which is to include every aspect of life not merely the ritual and liturgical moments of life. In this way all of life becomes a continuous act of worship. God distributes a variety of gifts to the community of believers to assist each member in being true to this calling. Each of the gifts has the function of building up the community and strengthening the believers.
* 12:2 In Paul’s view, “this world” is passing and imperfect (1 Cor 7:31). The Jewish scholars distinguished between “this world/age” and the “world/age to come.” Paul alludes to that distinction here. Paul himself sees those who embrace Christ have already having entered the “world or age to come.” The ages met at the beginning of the Christian era (1Cor 19:11). Thus the Christian is living in this world but must live for God and not conform to this world. The transformation is inward and involves the renewal of the human “nous” (mind) by God’s indwelling Spirit.
Gospel Reading: Matthew 16: 21-27
21 From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised. 22 Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, “God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.” 23 He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? Or what can one give in exchange for his life?27 For the Son of Man will come with his angels in his Father’s glory, and then he will repay everyone according to his conduct.”
NOTES on Gospel:
* 16:21-23 This is the first prediction of the passion in Matthew’s Gospel and follows its Marcan parallel (Mark 8:31-33) fairly closely but it also serves as a corrective to the view of Jesus’ messiahship as solely one of glory and triumph. Matthew adds “from that time on” in verse 21 to emphasize that Jesus’ revelation of his approaching suffering and death marks a new phase of the gospel. The other two predictions in Matthew are found in Matthew 17:22-23; 20:17-19.
* 16:21 Use of the word, “must,” indicates a necessity that is part of the tradition of all the synoptic gospels (See also Mark 8:31 and Luke 9:21). The elders, the chief priests, and the scribes constitute the three divisions of the Sanhedrin. “On the third day” is used here and in Luke 9:22, while Mark reads “after three days” (Mark 8:31). Matthew’s language is, in the Greek, almost identical with the pre-Pauline fragment of the kerygma found in 1 Cor 15:4. Hosea 6:2 is usually held to be the Old Testament background to the confession that Jesus was raised on the third day. Josephus (a first century Jewish historian) uses “after three days” and “on the third day” interchangeably (Antiquities 7, 11, 6 280-81; 8, 8, 1-2 214, 218) adding evidence to the position that there probably was no intended difference in meaning between the two phrases.
* 16:22-23 Peter, desiring a messiahship of triumph and glory, refuses to accept Jesus’ predicted suffering and death and is perceived by Jesus as a tool of a satanic attempt to deflect Him from his God-appointed course. Peter is addressed in terms that recall Jesus’ dismissal of the devil in the temptation account (4:10: “Get away, Satan!”). The satanic purpose is emphasized by Matthew’s somewhat ironic ( in light of 16:18) addition to the Marcan account of the words, “You are an obstacle to me” which is literally a “stumbling stone.”
* 16:24-28 The early church, much like today, was plagued by would-be disciples who sat on the fence not wanting to make a firm decision for or against Jesus. Here, a readiness to follow Jesus even to the point of giving up one’s life for Him is presented as the condition for true discipleship. This extreme demand emphasizes both the seriousness of the decision and the value of the Kingdom. Such absolute devotion will be repaid by Jesus at the final judgment.
To deny someone is to disown him (Matthew 10:33; 26:34-35) and to deny oneself is to disown oneself as the center of one’s existence. Matthew has Jesus telling His disciples that the world of a Christian must be centered not on the self but on Christ and His kingdom. In many ways these sayings are a commentary on the great command to love God “with all one’s heart, soul and strength (Deut 6:5). Willingness to follow Jesus is substituted for love of God implying that the two are somehow the same. Indeed the Christian will see following Jesus as the way of expressing love of God.
* 16:25 In 10:39 Matthew already said that any loss, even death, is preferable to the loss of the Kingdom of God. Here Jesus tells us again that a life centered on self is a life doomed to failure. One who denies Jesus in order to save one’s earthly life will be condemned to everlasting destruction but loss of earthly life for Jesus’ sake will be rewarded by everlasting life in the kingdom. The life of a disciple must be focused on Jesus and the values that are important to Him.
* 16: 26 Gaining all the wealth and power of the world is ultimately of no use. All the wealth of the world is of no use to the dead and so no earthly prize can be of any value when compared to the eternal joys of the Kingdom. Seeking happiness directly is always a doomed venture. One must seek the will of God instead, and then happiness will follow.
* 16:27 This is a statement of individual retribution and also an allusion to Psalm 28:4, 62:12, 37:1; Prov 24:12; Eze 14:12-16; Rev 2:23.
* 16:27-28 The parousia and final judgment are presented by Matthews Gospel in 25:31 using terms almost identical with these.


Meditation: Take up your cross daily and follow Jesus Christ

What is the way to glory and victory in the kingdom of God? Jesus told his disciples that he must first suffer rejection, be crucified, and then rise again on the third day. In so many words he explained that there could be no victory and no glory without the cross. Jesus' prediction of his suffering and death on the cross caused his disciples great dismay and disbelief. Peter, who was often the first to react to whatever Jesus had to say, wanted to protect Jesus from any threat or harm. That is why he rebuked the very thought of Jesus having to face rejection, condemnation, and crucifixion. 
"My way or God's way"?
Why did Jesus use the word "Satan" when he addressed Peter? When Jesus went out into the wilderness to prepare for his public ministry, Satan came to tempt him to follow a different path than the one chosen by the Father in heaven. Now Jesus recognizes in Peter's response another temptation to seek a different and less costly path for accomplishing his mission than the way of the cross. The word "Satan" literally means "adversary" - one who stands in opposition. Jesus reminds Peter that his role is not to be an adversary but a disciple - one who gets behind his Master to follow with trust and obedience.  
Victory and glory through the cross
Jesus knew that the cross was the only way he could ransom us from slavery to sin with the price of his blood which was shed for our freedom. Through his sacrificial death on the cross, Jesus defeated Satan who held us in bondage to sin and condemnation. And Jesus defeated the power of death and overcame the grave through his resurrection. Through his obedience to his heavenly Father's will, Jesus reversed the curse of Adam's disobedience. His death on the cross won pardon for the guilty, freedom for the oppressed, healing for the afflicted, and new life for those condemned to death. His death makes possible our freedom to live as the adopted sons and daughters of the merciful Father in heaven. 
The paradox of God's economy
Jesus told his disciples that they, too, must be willing to lay down their lives in order to gain new everlasting life with the Father in his kingdom. There's a certain paradox in God's economy. We lose what we gain, and we gain what we lose. When we try to run our life our own way, we end up losing it to futility. Only God can free us from our ignorant and sinful ways. When we surrender our lives to God, he gives us new life in his Spirit and the pledge of eternal life. God wants us to be spiritually fit and ready to do his will at all times. When the human body is very weak or ill, we make every effort to nurse it back to health. How much more effort and attention should we give to the spiritual health of our hearts and minds!
The great exchange
What will you give to God in exchange for freedom and eternal life? Are you ready to part with anything that might keep you from following the Lord Jesus and his perfect plan for your life? Jesus poses these questions to challenge our assumptions about what is most profitable and worthwhile in life. In every decision of life we are making ourselves a certain kind of person. It is possible that some can gain all the things they have set their heart on, only to wake up suddenly and discover that they missed the most important thing of all. Of what value are material things if they don't help you gain what truly lasts for eternity. Neither money nor possessions can buy heaven, mend a broken heart, or cheer a lonely person.
Losing all to gain all with Jesus Christ
A true disciple gladly gives up all that he or she has in exchange for an unending life of joy and happiness with God. God gives without measure. The joy he offers no sadness or loss can diminish. The cross of Jesus Christ leads to victory and freedom from sin and death. What is the cross which Jesus Christ commands me to take up each day? When my will crosses with his will, then his will must be done. Are you ready to lose all for Jesus Christ in order to gain all with Jesus Christ? 
"Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and all my will, all that I have and possess.  You have given them to me; to you, O Lord, I restore them; all things are yours, dispose of them according to your will.  Give me your love and your grace, for this is enough for me." (Prayer of Ignatius of Loyola, 1491-1556) 


On Your Mark, Get Set, Go!
August 31, 2014. Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time.


Matthew 16: 21-27
From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, "God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you." But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things." Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone wants to become my follower, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For he who wants to save his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gain the whole world but forfeits his life? Or what will he give in return for his life? For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done.”
Introductory Prayer: Lord God, I come from dust and to dust I shall return. You, however, existed before all time, and every creature takes its being from you. You formed me in my mother’s womb with infinite care, and you watch over me tenderly. I hope you will embrace my soul at my death to carry me home to heaven to be with you forever. Thank you for looking upon me and blessing me with your love. Take my love in return. I humbly offer you all that I am.
Petition: Lord, help me to become a saint by denying myself, taking up my cross and following you.
1. The Purgative Way: In today’s Gospel Christ presents three ways to Christian perfection: “If anyone wants to become my follower, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” The first step, self-denial, is called “the purgative way” by some spiritual mystics. Have you ever noticed that in order to advance, a time of purging is necessary? Champion football teams have to work hard during the hot August two-times-a-day practices. The same could be said for our striving for holiness; we must be purged and purified in many ways. It is essential that we hate sin and avoid it at all cost by fighting temptation. Our sentiments, passions, memory and imagination must be placed under the rule of our faith, intellect and will. Beginning a prayer life requires effort, fight and constancy. By embracing the cross of the purification process we can advance in holiness.
2. The Illuminative Way: A second step in the spiritual life can be summarized as “take up his cross.” A soul in this step has achieved a certain measure of self-control over the force of his passions, avoids any grave sins, and has deep convictions regarding the truths of our faith. Their present task is to progress in good, strengthening themselves especially in charity. They seek to adorn themselves with Christ’s virtues and to make Christ the center of their thoughts, affections and actions. These souls could be compared to an experienced mother who is raising the youngest of her children or an athlete who has the fundamentals down and is playing at peak performance. How happy and balanced our lives are when we arrive to this level in our spiritual life. Christ invites us to this level of friendship with him; all we have to do is say yes, work hard and trust in God’s grace.
3. The Unitive Way: The third step in the spiritual life, the unitive way, can be described by Christ’s words: “Follow me.” Once we go through the purification of our own body and soul and are steeped in the practice of virtue, we are ready to be among the closest followers of Christ, the saints! In this level we are detached from created things, and our primary focus is on the presence of the Creator who dwells in our hearts. Love of God becomes the driving force in our life and we can say with our Lord, “I always do what pleases him” (John 8:29). Deep union with God in prayer, never resisting grace, and perfect mastery over ourselves bring us to see crosses and difficulties with great joy. So have many souls arrived to this state of heaven on earth: John Paul II, Mother Teresa, and the many unknown husbands and wives, students and scholars who have taken Christ’s call seriously and followed him above all else.
Conversation with Christ: Lord Jesus, I ask you for the courage to continue to follow your call to holiness. Help me to know where it is you want me to become more like you, and give me the strength to form myself into the saint of which you have always dreamed. Mother Mary, I entrust my spiritual life into your maternal care.
Resolution: I will invite someone to go to Sunday Mass today.
By Matthew Reinhardt, Consecrated Member of Regnum Christ

TWENTY-SECOND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME, AUGUST 31, MATTHEW 16:21-27
(Jeremiah 20:7-9; Psalm 63; Romans 12:1-2)

KEY VERSE: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me (v 24).
READING: When Peter acknowledged Jesus as the Messiah of God (Matt 16:16), Jesus strictly commanded his followers to secrecy. The explanation for this messianic secret is found in the popular understanding of the messiah in Jesus’ time. The messiah (Hebrew mashiyach, the "anointed one") was expected to be a mighty ruler like David, a warrior king who would sweep the Romans from Israel and restore them to power. Jesus’ disciples had to learn the true meaning of the messiah before they could preach. Jesus explained that it was necessary for him go to Jerusalem where he would suffer and die, but that he would be raised up on the third day. Peter recoiled at the idea of a suffering messiah. Peter the "rock" (v 18) allowed himself to become a "stumbling block" enabling Satan to impede God's will. Peter was urging Jesus to do the very things that the tempter tried to make him do ̶ to seek power without sacrifice (Mt 4:1-11). If Jesus’ disciples wanted to follow him, they must get "behind" him, walking in his footsteps to Calvary. Those who lived contrary to his teachings would lose the very life they sought. Whoever heard and obeyed his words, even at the cost of their earthly lives, would experience the fullness of life everlasting.
REFLECTING: Am I willing to speak out against injustice no matter what it might cost?
PRAYING: Lord Jesus help me to understand the meaning of the cross in my life.

 My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God
Those who wish to come after me must deny themselves. A line in T. S. Eliot’s ‘The Dry Salvages’ reads: ‘We had the experience but missed the meaning’. It might be applied to Jesus’ contemporaries, including his apostles, who were slow to understand his teaching and the nature of his saving mission. Peter could not accept that Jesus would die ‘at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law’. Jesus chided Peter because he did not have in mind the concerns of God but merely human concerns. The same was true of the proud and ambitious Francis Xavier before he saw and embraced the truth of Ignatius’ oft-repeated reminder: ‘What profits us if we gain the whole world and lose our soul?’ Lord Jesus, may I always follow in your steps. 

MINUTE MEDITATIONS 
Accepting Imperfection
A “perfect” person ends up being one who can consciously forgive and include imperfection (like God does), rather than one who thinks he or she is totally above and beyond any imperfection. In fact, I would say that the demand for the perfect is often the greatest enemy of the good.
— from Yes, and... 

August 31
Sts. Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus

The actions of these two influential Jewish leaders give insight into the charismatic power of Jesus and his teachings—and the risks that could be involved in following him.
Joseph was a respected, wealthy civic leader who had become a disciple of Jesus. Following the death of Jesus, Joseph obtained Jesus' body from Pilate, wrapped it in fine linen and buried it. For these reasons Joseph is considered the patron saint of funeral directors and pallbearers. More important is the courage Joseph showed in asking Pilate for Jesus' body. Jesus was a condemned criminal who had been publicly executed. According to some legends, Joseph was punished and imprisoned for such a bold act.
Nicodemus was a Pharisee and, like Joseph, an important first-century Jew. We know from John's Gospel that Nicodemus went to Jesus at night—secretly—to better understand his teachings about the kingdom. Later, Nicodemus spoke up for Jesus at the time of his arrest and assisted in Jesus' burial. We know little else about Nicodemus.


Patron Saint of:

Undertakers

LECTIO DIVINA: 22ND SUNDAY OF ORDINARY TIME (A)
Lectio: 
 Sunday, August 31, 2014  
First prophecy of the passion
The scandal of the cross
Matthew 16: 21-27

1. Opening prayer
Spirit of truth, sent by Jesus to guide us to the whole truth, enlighten our minds so that we may understand the Scriptures. You who overshadowed Mary and made her fruitful ground where the Word of God could germinate, purify our hearts from all obstacles to the Word. Help us to learn like her to listen with good and pure hearts to the Word that God speaks to us in life and in Scripture, so that we may observe the Word and produce good fruit through our perseverance.
2. Reading
a) The context:

Mt 16: 21-27 is after Peter’s profession of faith (16: 13-20) and before the transfiguration (17: 1-8) and is strongly connected with these two events. Jesus asks the twelve to tell him who do people say he is and then wants to know who do the twelve say he is. Peter replies, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (16: 16). Jesus not only accepts this profession of faith, but also explicitly says that it is God who has revealed his true identity to Peter. Yet he insists that the disciples must not tell anyone that he is the messiah. Jesus knows well that this title can be misunderstood and he does not want to run the risk. "From that time" (16: 21) he gradually begins to explain to the twelve what it means to be the messiah; he is the suffering messiah who will enter into his glory through the cross.
The text we are considering is divided into to parts. In the first part (vv. 21-23), Jesus foretells his death and resurrection and shows that he is completely determined to follow God’s plan for him in spite of Peter’s protestations. In the second part (vv. 24-27), Jesus shows the consequences of recognising him as the suffering messiah for his disciples. No one can be his disciple unless he/she walks the same road.
But Jesus knows well that it is difficult for the twelve to accept his and their cross, and, to reassure them, he gives them a foretaste of his resurrection in his transfiguration (17: 1-8).
b) The text:

21-23:
 From then onwards Jesus began to make it clear to his disciples that he was destined to go to Jerusalem and suffer grievously at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes and to be put to death and to be raised up on the third day. Then, taking him aside, Peter started to rebuke him. 'Heaven preserve you, Lord,' he said, 'this must not happen to you.' But he turned and said to Peter, 'Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle in my path, because you are thinking not as God thinks but as human beings do.' 
24-27: Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross and follow me. Anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake will find it. What, then, will anyone gain by winning the whole world and forfeiting his life? Or what can anyone offer in exchange for his life? 'For the Son of man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will reward each one according to his behaviour.
3. A moment of prayerful silence
so that the Word of God may enter into us and enlighten our life.
4. Some questions
to help us in our personal reflection.
a) Why does Peter try to deter Jesus from facing the passion? 
b) Why does Jesus call Peter Satan? 
c) How do you confront life, with the logic of God and of Jesus or with human logic and that of Peter? 
d) In your concrete everyday life, what does it mean to lose ones life for the sake of Jesus? 
e) What are your crosses and who are your Peters?
5. A key to the reading
for those who wish to go deeper into the text.
"Destined to go to Jerusalem…" 
The four verbs "go", "suffer", "be put to death" and "be raised" (v. 21) are governed by the word "destined" or "had to". This is a verb, which in the New Testament has a precise theological meaning. It denotes that it is the will of God that something happens because it is part of God’s plan of salvation. 
The death of Jesus may be seen as the consequence of the "logic" of the attitude he took towards the institutions of his people. Like every uncomfortable prophet he was removed. But the New Testament insists that his death (and resurrection) is part of God’s plan, which Jesus accepted freely.
"You are an obstacle in my path" 
Obstacle means hold-up or trap. To be an obstacle means to confront someone with impediments that would divert that person form the way to follow. Peter is an obstacle for Jesus because he tries to swerve from the way of obedience to the will of the Father in order to go an easier way. That is why Jesus compares him to Satan, who at the beginning of his ministry had sought to divert Jesus from the path of his mission, proposing an easy messianic mission (see Mt 4: 1-11).
"Anyone who loses his life… will find it" 

Anyone who understands well the mystery of Jesus and the nature of his mission also understands what it means to be his disciple. The two things are intimately linked. 
Jesus himself lays down three conditions for those who wish to be his disciples: renunciation of self, the taking up of one’s cross and following him (v.24). To renounce oneself means not to focus one’s life on one’s self but on God and on the plan of his Reign. This implies an acceptance of adversity and putting up with difficulties. Jesus himself left us his example of how to deal with such circumstances. It suffices to imitate him. He does not compromise his fidelity to the Father and to His Reign, and he remains faithful even to giving his life. It was precisely thus that he came to the fullness of life in the resurrection.
6. Psalm 40
The invocation for help of one who has remained faithful to God
I waited patiently for the Lord; 
he inclined to me and heard my cry. 
He drew me up from the desolate pit, 
out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, 
making my steps secure. 
He put a new song in my mouth, 
a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear, 
and put their trust in the Lord. 
Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, 
who does not turn to the proud, 
to those who go astray after false gods! 
Thou hast multiplied, O Lord my God, 
thy wondrous deeds and thy thoughts toward us; 
none can compare with thee! 
Were I to proclaim and tell of them, 
they would be more than can be numbered.
Sacrifice and offering thou dost not desire; 
but thou hast given me an open ear. 
Burnt offering and sin offering thou hast not required. 
Then I said, "Lo, I come; 
in the roll of the book it is written of me; 
I delight to do thy will, 
O my God; thy law is within my heart."
I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation; 
lo, I have not restrained my lips, 
as thou knowest, O Lord. 
I have not hid thy saving help within my heart, 
I have spoken of thy faithfulness and thy salvation; 
I have not concealed thy steadfast love 
and thy faithfulness from the great congregation.
Do not thou, O Lord, 
withhold thy mercy from me, 
let thy steadfast love 
and thy faithfulness ever preserve me! 
For evils have encompassed me without number; 
my iniquities have overtaken me, 
till I cannot see; 
they are more than the hairs of my head; 
my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me! 
O Lord, make haste to help me! 
Let them be put to shame and confusion altogether 
who seek to snatch away my life; 
let them be turned back and brought to dishonour 
who desire my hurt! 
Let them be appalled because of their shame 
who say to me, "Aha, Aha!"
But may all who seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee; 
may those who love thy salvation say continually, 
"Great is the Lord!" 
As for me, I am poor and needy; 
but the Lord takes thought for me. 
Thou art my help and my deliverer; 
do not tarry, O my God!
7. Closing prayer
O God, your ways are not our ways and your thoughts are not our thoughts. In your plan of salvation there is also room for the cross. Your Son, Jesus, did not retreat before the cross, but "endured the cross and disregarded the shamefulness of it" (Heb 12: 2). The hostility of his enemies could not distract him from his firm intent to fulfil your will and proclaim the Reign, cost what it may.
Strengthen us, Father, with the gift of your Spirit. May he enable us to follow Jesus resolutely and faithfully. May he make us his imitators in deed and make your Reign the centre of our lives. May he give us strength to bear adversity and difficulties so that true life may blossom in us and in all humankind. 
We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen


Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét