'Terrorist attack' at Canada mosque in Quebec City
(Vatican Radio) At least 6 people were killed and eight others injured in Quebec City, Canada Sunday night in an attack on a mosque during evening prayers.
Quebec provincial police say six people are dead and eight others were wounded after shots were fired inside the Islamic cultural centre of Quebec on Sunday night during evening prayers.
A witness told CBC's Radio-Canada that two masked individuals entered the mosque and that it seemed they had a Quebec accent.
Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard have both taken to Twitter to call it a terrorist attack.
The president of the cultural center, Mohamed Yangui, said the shooting happened in the men's section of the mosque.
He added that, at the moment of the attack, the men were praying on the ground floor of the building, while women and children were upstairs.
Quebec provincial police spokeswoman, Christine Coulombe said, “We can confirm that around 50 people were at the mosque at the time of the attack. The deceased were men approximately 35 to 70 years of age.”
She also said that the situation around the mosque was under control and that two people had been arrested in connection with the shooting.
The names of those arrested were not released.