Trang

Thứ Sáu, 1 tháng 6, 2018

JUNE 02, 2018 : SATURDAY OF THE EIGHTH WEEK IN ORDINARY TIME


Saturday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 352

Reading 1JUDE 17, 20B-25
Beloved, remember the words spoken beforehand
by the Apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit.
Keep yourselves in the love of God
and wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ
that leads to eternal life.
On those who waver, have mercy; 
save others by snatching them out of the fire;
on others have mercy with fear,
abhorring even the outer garment stained by the flesh.

To the one who is able to keep you from stumbling
and to present you unblemished and exultant,
in the presence of his glory,
to the only God, our savior,
through Jesus Christ our Lord
be glory, majesty, power, and authority
from ages past, now, and for ages to come. Amen.
Responsorial PsalmPS 63:2, 3-4, 5-6
R. (2b) My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
O God, you are my God whom I seek;
for you my flesh pines and my soul thirsts 
like the earth, parched, lifeless and without water. 
R. My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
Thus have I gazed toward you in the sanctuary
to see your power and your glory,
For your kindness is a greater good than life;
my lips shall glorify you.
R. My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.
Thus will I bless you while I live;
lifting up my hands, I will call upon your name.
As with the riches of a banquet shall my soul be satisfied,
and with exultant lips my mouth shall praise you.
R. My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly;
giving thanks to God the Father through him.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Jesus and his disciples returned once more to Jerusalem.
As he was walking in the temple area,
the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders
approached him and said to him,
"By what authority are you doing these things?
Or who gave you this authority to do them?"
Jesus said to them, "I shall ask you one question.
Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. 
Was John's baptism of heavenly or of human origin? Answer me."
They discussed this among themselves and said,
"If we say, 'Of heavenly origin,' he will say,
'Then why did you not believe him?'
But shall we say, 'Of human origin'?"– 
they feared the crowd,
for they all thought John really was a prophet.
So they said to Jesus in reply, "We do not know."
Then Jesus said to them,
"Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things."



Meditation: "Who gave you this authority?"
Do you accept the authority of God's word and submit to it with trust and obedience? Many religious leaders took offense at Jesus because they could not accept his authority as coming from God. After Jesus had dramatically cleansed the temple of the traders and money-changers, the Jewish leaders question Jesus to trap him. If he says his authority is divine they will charge him with blasphemy. If he has done this on his own authority they might well arrest him as a mad zealot before he could do more damage. 
Jesus' authority to speak and act in his Father's name
Jesus, seeing through their trap, poses a question to them and makes their answer a condition for his answer. Did they accept the work of John the Baptist as divine or human? If they accepted John's work as divine, they would be compelled to accept Jesus as the Messiah. John, a true prophet of God, had in fact attested to Jesus as the Son of God and Messiah who would redeem his people from their sins. The Jewish authorities dodged the question because they were unwilling to face the truth. They did not accept the Baptist and they would not accept Jesus as their Messiah. Jesus told his followers, "if you continue in my word... you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free" (John 8:31-32).
The truth will make you free
The Lord Jesus poses the same question to us today. Do you accept the claim of Jesus - that the Father in heaven sent his only begotten Son into the world to set us free from slavery to sin and to give us eternal life (John 3:16-18). Many want to mold Jesus to their own way of thinking and preferences and to reject or ignore whatever is disagreeable to them. Jesus came to give us the greatest freedom possible - freedom from ignorance, deception, and sin, and the freedom to live as sons and daughters of God in the power of the Holy Spirit. Do you know the joy and freedom of living according to God's word of truth, joy, and eternal life?
"Lord Jesus, your word is life and truth. Instruct my heart that I may grow in the knowledge of your truth and live according to your word."
Daily Quote from the early church fathersFearing the truth, by Augustine of Hippo, 354-430 A.D.
"Fearing a stoning, but fearing more an admission of the truth, they answered the truth with a lie, reminiscent of the Scripture: 'injustice has lied within herself' (Psalm 27:12). For they said, 'We know not.' And because they had shut themselves up against him, by asserting that they did not know what they knew, the Lord did not open up to them because they did not knock. For it has been said, 'Knock and it will be opened to you' (Matthew 7:7; Luke 11:9). But they not only had not knocked that it might be opened, but by their denial they barricaded the door itself against themselves. And the Lord said to them, 'Neither do I tell you by what authority I do these things' (Matthew 21:27; Mark 11:33; Luke 20:7). (excerpt from TRACTATE ON JOHN 2.9.4)



SATURDAY, JUNE 2, MARK 11:27-33
Weekday

(Jude 17:20-25; Psalm 63)

KEY VERSE: "Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things" (v 33).
TO KNOW: The prophet Malachi foretold the arrival of God's messenger who would purify the Temple restoring it as a suitable place of worship (Mal 3:1-3). When Jesus cleansed the Temple making it a "house of prayer for all peoples" (v 17), he incurred the wrath of the religious leaders. They demanded to know by whose authority he was acting. Jesus counter-questioned his adversaries asking them whether John's baptism was of divine or human origin. Because of John's popularity, the religious leaders feared that they might antagonize the people. Since they refused to answer Jesus, he did not answer their question.
TO LOVE: Do I pray for secular as well as religious authorities?
TO SERVE: Lord Jesus, help me to obey your authority in all matters of faith and morals. 





Optional Memorial of Saints Marcellinus and Peter, martyrs

Peter and Marcellinus were two Roman martyrs who suffered under the persecution of the Roman emperor Diocletian, about the year 303. Marcellinus was a priest and Peter an exorcist. Their names are mentioned in the Canon of the Mass (Eucharistic Prayer I). Peter was cast into prison at Rome for confessing the Christian faith. There he set free Paulina, the daughter of Artemius, the keeper of the prison, from an evil spirit which tormented her. Upon hearing this, Artemius and his wife and all their house, with their neighbors were converted to Jesus Christ Peter then brought them to Marcellinus the priest, who baptized them all. When the judge heard this, he called Peter and Marcellinus before him, and threatened them unless they would deny Christ. Marcellinus answered with Christian boldness, whereupon he was beaten, and shut in a prison without either food or light. Peter was also confined. But when both of them were found unshaken in their testimony, they were beheaded, confessing Jesus Christ by their blood. Sometime later devout women found the bodies and honorably interred them near the tomb of Saint Tiburtius in the catacombs on the Via Labicana.



Saturday 2 June 2018

Jude 17, 20-25. Psalm 62(63):2-6. Mark 11:27-33.
My soul is thirsting for you, O Lord my God—Psalm 62(63):2-6.
‘Keep yourselves within the love of God.’
Having rejected the prophetic preaching of John the Baptist, the religious leaders demand to know the source of the authority that Jesus claims for himself. It is as if they ask him testily and scornfully, ‘Who do you think you are?’
As on some other occasions, Jesus does not deign to answer them directly but chooses instead to expose their duplicity with the quiet courage that derives from his uniquely intimate relationship with the Father.
How often, thirsting for God, must Jesus have prayed the words of today’s responsorial psalm. Picture him doing so, perhaps alone in a hillside vigil.
Hear them first from his own lips and then repeat them slowly, making them your own.


Saints Marcellinus and Peter
Saint of the Day for June 2
(d. 304)
 
Illumination from the Passionary of Weissenau | Frater Rufillus
Saints Marcellinus and Peter’s Story
Marcellinus and Peter were prominent enough in the memory of the Church to be included among the saints of the Roman Canon. Mention of their names is optional in our present Eucharistic Prayer I.
Marcellinus was a priest and Peter was an exorcist, that is, someone authorized by the Church to deal with cases of demonic possession. They were beheaded during the persecution of Emperor Diocletian. Pope Damasus wrote an epitaph apparently based on the report of their executioner, and Constantine erected a basilica over the crypt in which they were buried in Rome. Numerous legends sprang from an early account of their death.

Reflection
Why are these men included in our Eucharistic prayer, and given their own feast day, in spite of the fact that almost nothing is known about them? Probably because the Church respects its collective memory. They once sent an impulse of encouragement through the whole Church. They made the ultimate step of faith.


LECTIO DIVINA: MARK 11:27-33
Lectio Divina: 
 Saturday, June 2, 2018

1. PRAYER
 Lord, Father of goodness and mercy, You have sent Your Son Jesus from heaven to reveal to us the authority and the sweetness of Your love. Send us Your Holy Spirit as He descended upon Christ at the baptism in the Jordan River. The heavens open with Your voice of salvation: "You are my Son, my beloved." May our hearts not  close, but in full confidence, may we welcome Your light and the embrace of the Father, now and forever. Amen.
2. READING
Jesus and his disciples returned once more to Jerusalem. As he was walking in the temple area, the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders approached him and said to him, "By what authority are you doing these things? Or who gave you this authority to do them?" Jesus said to them, "I shall ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. Was John's baptism of heavenly or of human origin? Answer me." They discussed this among themselves and said, "If we say, 'Of heavenly origin,' he will say, 'Then why did you not believe him?' But shall we say, 'Of human origin'?"– they feared the crowd, for they all thought John really was a prophet. So they said to Jesus in reply, "We do not know." Then Jesus said to them, "Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things."
3. MEDITATION
* "By what authority?" The word "authority" is central to this short passage and contains the secret of the faith journey and spiritual growth that we can attain if we let ourselves be guided by the Word, in meditation on this Gospel. The provocative question addressed to Jesus by the scribes and chief priests makes us understand  how much distance there is between Him and them and why there can be no answer. For the priests and scribes "authority" is "power," "strength,” "dominion,” "capable of enforcing laws and judging." But for Jesus, “authority” is another thing. In Hebrew, this word “authority” is from a root of the word that also means "similar to." In fact, Jesus makes it clear in the place where He was walking (v. 27), and that would lead us to understand that “authority” is similarity with the Father, the relationship of love with Him, as between Father and Son. It is no coincidence that He immediately points to the baptism of John.
* "The baptism of John ...." Jesus leads us now clearly to the starting point, the source, where we really find ourselves in the encounter with God on the banks of the River Jordan where He was baptized.  He also prepared our place, because like Him, we go down into the water and allow ourselves to be marked with the seal of the Holy Spirit. Let us reach out, gather, and visit with these words: "You are my Son, the beloved" (Mk 11). Jesus tells us that there is no other authority, or other greatness or riches than this.
* "From heaven or from human origin?" Do we want to be with God or with men, to follow God or men, or do we want to enter into the light of the opened heavens (Mark 1:10) or remain in the darkness of our loneliness?
* "Answer me." It's a beautiful phrase from Jesus, repeated forcefully twice (vv. 29 and 30). He calls for a clear choice, a clear decision, sincere, authentic, and profound. The verb "answer" in Greek means to express the attitude of an ability to distinguish and to separate things well. The Lord wants to invite us to enter into the deepest part of ourselves, to let His words enter and so, in this strong relationship with Him, learn more and more to make the important decisions of our lives and throughout our days.
But there is something more to this word, so simple and so beautiful. The Hebrew root expresses at the same time response as well as misery, poverty, grief, humility. That is, there can be no real answer, without humility, without listening. Jesus is asking the priests and scribes, and us, to enter into this dimension of life, this attitude of the soul: to be humble before Him and others, recognizing our poverty, our need for Him, because only this may be the real answer to His questions.
* They argued among themselves.” Another important verb that helps us to understand a little more about our inner world. This discussion is in fact a "talk through" as we sense from a literal translation of the Greek word used by Mark. These people in this passage are broken inside, are scarred by an injury, are not all in one piece in front of Jesus while talking to each other, bringing together a number of reasons and considerations instead of entering into a relationship and a dialogue with the Father which was inaugurated with the baptism of Jesus.  They remain outside and at a distance, as the son of the parable who refuses to join in the feast of love (cf. Lk 15:28). They also do not believe in the Word of God, once again repeated: "You are my Son, my beloved, in You I am well pleased" (Mk 1:11) and continue to seek and desire the strength of  “authority” and power rather than the weakness of love.
4. QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION
* The Lord teaches me His authority, even in my life, not domination, oppression or force, but love, and the ability to be alike, to be near. I would like to accept this authority of Jesus in my life.  I would truly enter into this relationship of resemblance with Him. Am I ready to engage in this choice? Am I determined to follow this through? Can I do this in all aspects of my life? What is my next step to get there?
* Maybe, approaching this Gospel, I did not expect to come back to the episode of Baptism and the experience so fundamental and the source of the relationship with God the Father. Instead, once again, the Lord wanted to reveal His love so immense, that He does not shirk any effort, any obstacles just to reach me. Is my heart, right now, before Him? Can I hear the voice of the Father speak to me and call me "son,” saying my name? Can I accept this statement of love? Do I trust Him, believe Him, and give myself to Him? Do I understand that this involves change and action from me, and does not stop with words and feelings?
* I cannot reflect on this meditation without giving my answer. Jesus asks me specifically, that "answer me" is also addressed to me today. I learned that there can be no answer without a real hearing and listening that can only come from true humility. Do I want to take these steps or just want to continue to respond with my own convictions, my old ways of thinking and feeling, from my conceit and self-sufficiency? What exactly do I need to change within me and around me to answer the way I am invited to?
* One last thing. Looking inside my heart, do I feel divided, as an enemy of Jesus? Is there any wound in me that will not allow me to be a whole Christian, or a friend of Christ, or His disciple? What is there in my life that is broken, that separates me from Him?
5. FINAL PRAYER
The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul.
The decree of the LORD is trustworthy, giving wisdom to the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart.
The command of the LORD is clear, enlightening the eye.
The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever.
The statutes of the LORD are true, all of them just;
More desirable than gold, than a hoard of purest gold,
Sweeter also than honey or drippings from the comb.



Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét